Director-Safety, Environmental, and DOT
The Director of Safety, Environmental and DOT is responsible for developing, implementing and maintaining strategies, programs and policies in compliance with federal and state occupational safety requirements and environmental and DOT regulations.
This position provides leadership, expertise and guidance to align, coordinate and share best practices, processes and programs across the Company.
Rush Enterprises is a premier provider of quality products and services to commercial equipment users. We are customer-focused, people-oriented, and financially motivated to deliver excellent outcomes for customers, shareholders, vendors and our people.
We offer a rewarding career with a leader in the transportation industry. Grow with us as we continue to expand our network of locations and services. Rush Enterprises is always looking for good people to join our team.
- Direct the Company’s safety, environmental and DOT functions including policies, procedures and education as well as ensuring consistency in standards, approach and strategy.
- Periodically evaluate the effectiveness of the safety, environmental and DOT functions through a formal risk assessment; improve gaps as needed.
- Continuously identify, anticipate and provide solutions to safety, environmental and DOT concerns and hazards by reviewing trends, lead safety measures, violations, near misses, worker’s compensation and liability claims.
- Provide oversight to a safety, environmental and DOT audit program to ensure compliance with company standards and regulatory agencies.
- Communicate safety, environmental and DOT protocols with clarity, consistency, and impact.
- Ensure that federal, state and local safety laws, regulations, codes and rules are observed, and that recordkeeping and reporting requirements are met.
- Work in cooperation with the Risk Management on safety incidents, data analysis, and loss control mitigation strategy.
We offer exceptional compensation and benefits, 401K and stock purchase, incentives for performance, training, and opportunity for advancement - all in a culture that appreciates and rewards excellence, a positive attitude and integrity.
Basic Qualifications and Attributes
- Bachelor’s degree from accredited college or university in safety, science, business management or related field. Generally requires minimum of ten years of related education and experience.
- Minimum of five years of experience managing people.
- Must possess a current and valid driver license with a driving record that meets the insurability guidelines set forth by the company’s insurance carrier.
- Must be computer literate; possess a strong understanding and use of Microsoft Office programs. Demonstrate a high-level of proficiency in the use of Excel.
Air and car travel in multiple regions of the country, with overnight travel 20-40%.
Must possess a working knowledge of safety, environmental and DOT theories, principles and practices.
Must be able to manage multiple priorities and projects.
Must demonstrate an overall sense of responsibility and accountability to safety, environmental and DOT matters and processes.
Must partner and add value to the business through education and influencing a culture of safety.
Rush Enterprises (NASDAQ: RUSHA & RUSHB) operates the largest network of heavy and medium- duty truck dealerships in North America. Its current truck operations include a network of locations throughout the United States. These dealerships provide an integrated, one-stop sales and service of new and used heavy- and medium-duty trucks and construction equipment, aftermarket parts, service and body shop capabilities, chrome accessories, tires and a wide array of financial services including the financing of truck and equipment sales, insurance products and leasing and rentals.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Protected Veterans/Disabled